Margaret S. Knisely, 83, of 2119 Landis Valley Rd., Lancaster, PA, died unexpectedly on May 14, 2011 at Lancaster General Hospital. She was the wife of Arch G. Knisely III. They observed their 58th wedding anniversary on March 14, 2011.
Born in Harrisburg, PA on January 8, 1928, she was the daughter of the late Lloyd and Lile Shettel and was the widow of Lt. Howard F. James, who was killed in action in Korea in 1951.
She graduated from Penn State University in 1949. She taught at the Harrisburg Academy and later at I.U. 13 in Lancaster.
Peg was active in the following organizations in Harrisburg: American Association of University Women, Junior League, United Way and Highland Park Women’s Club. In Lancaster she was the past president of the Iris Club and on the board of directors of Quest and the Women’s Garden Club of Lancaster County. She also volunteered at the Water Street Rescue Mission, Lancaster General Hospital Gift Shop, Meals on Wheels and Junior League. She served as Judge of Elections in Manheim Township and Committee Woman in the Manheim Township 13th district. She attended Highland Presbyterian Church.
Surviving, in addition to her husband, is a daughter, Barbara Pranckun, wife of John Pranckun, Ottawa Hills, OH, and sons Howard F. Knisely, husband of Tammy Knisely, Lancaster, Arch G. Knisely IV, husband of Nancy Thornberry, Westfield, NJ, William S. Knisely, husband of Michelle Knisely, Pensacola, FL, Daniel R. Knisely, husband of Mary Knisely, West Chester, PA, 15 grandchildren and 6 great grandsons. She is also survived by a sister, Carol Stapf, Camp Hill, PA. She was predeceased by a brother, Don Shettel and a sister, Jane King.
Peg will be sorely missed by all who knew her.
Relatives and friends are invited to attend the funeral service at Highland Presbyterian Church, 500 East Roseville Rd., Lancaster, Thursday, May 19 at 11:00 AM. Friends may call at the church from 10:00 AM until the time of the service.
A private burial service will be held at the Rolling Green Cemetery in Camp Hill, PA.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Iris Club of Lancaster, 323 N. Duke St., Lancaster, PA 17602.