H. Clair Garman, 84, of Lancaster, PA died on September 27, 2015. Born in Rheems, PA on July 26, 1931, Clair was the son of the late Hiram K. Garman and Emma L. (Malehorn) Garman. He is survived by his loving wife of 63 years Janet S. (Hill) Garman.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, David C. married to Catherine Garman of Conestoga and Robert C. married to Shelly Garman of Millersville, by two granddaughters, Erika married to Matthew Gallisdorfer of Hummelstown and Leisa married to Steven Mackauer of Gainesville, VA, and by two great-grandsons, Wesley and Oliver Gallisdorfer of Hummelstown.
Clair graduated from Manheim Township High School in 1949. In September of 1950 he enlisted in the Pennsylvania’s 28th Infantry Division and served in Headquarters Co. of the 103rd Medical battalion during the Korean War.
He was a member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster for 59 years where he sang in the choir for 30 years and taught Sunday school for 12 years. He also served on the Property Committee and Vestry and was chairman of the History Ministries.
Clair was a third generation cabinetmaker and a second generation furniture restorer, and he operated his own business until his death. His excellent knowledge of antique furniture and spinning wheels earned Clair an outstanding reputation for furniture restoration from his customers. Clair was also schooled in architectural drafting and was a draftsman for Jamesway Farm Equipment, H.F. Huth Engineering and Sperry New Holland.
Clair was very active with his sons, serving on PTA committees, Little League baseball and serving eleven years in Scouting. He served as an assistant scoutmaster for Troop 21 and then as scoutmaster for Troop 43, both in the Southern District of the Lancaster-Lebanon Council. He was invited to take the Wood Badge training which he did during hurricane Agnes in 1972. He then served as a commissioner and training chairman for the Red Rose district of the Boy Scouts of America.
Clair was also a history buff and was active in the community. He joined the Landis Valley Associates in 1959 and served on the Board of Directors for a total of 18 years and as President for a total of 7 years. He was also the Museum’s cabinetmaker since 1979 and taught cabinetmaking and woodworking at Winter and Summer Institutes for a combined total of 39 years. He served on various committees through the years. Clair also served on the Board and committees of the Lancaster County Historical Society. He was sworn in to serve on Manheim Township’s Boettcher House Museum board and had served as chairman of the board, and he had chaired the Landis Woods Art Show committee. He also served on one of the Manheim Township Police department’s Youth Aid panels. Clair was a member of the Williamsburg Foundation, Gettysburg Foundation, Winterthur Guild and the Early American Industries Association.
Clair received the Lancaster New Era’s Red Rose Award on February 12, 2011 for his volunteer work. He also received the “2011 Outstanding Service Award” in April of 2012 from the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. In 2015, he was inducted into the Pennsylvania Voters Hall of Fame by the PA Dept. of State in recognition of his outstanding citizenship by participating in every general election for 50 consecutive years.
Family and friends are invited to attend a memorial service at 2:00 pm at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 31 S. Duke Street, Lancaster on Sunday, October 4th.
After the service, friends may visit the family in the Fisher Parish House. Interment will be private and at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (for the Property fund or Music fund), 31 S. Duke St., Lancaster PA 17602 or to the Landis Valley Associates (designated for the Independent Contractors Fund), 2451 Kissel Hill Rd., Lancaster PA 17601.