Godfrey Engle, a native Lancastrian, graduated from Lancaster Boys High in 1937 and Franklin and Marshall College in 1941. During WWII, he served as a chemist at the Oakridge facility in Tennesse. He retired from Armstrong World Industries as a Production Chief Chemist in 1982, after 37 years of service. He was a charter member of Hamilton Park United Church of Christ, as well as a consistory member. Godfrey was past president of the Wheatland Lions Club. Since his retirement, he became a volunteer and served over 20 years with the Senior Insurance Assistance Program and Volunteer Income Tax Association. He was also a council member of the Office of Aging. Shortly after retiring, he formed a small company to make and distribute cleaning products. He remained a strong supporter and advocate of the Occupational Development Center and Friendship Community. Throughout his retirement, he enjoyed playing recreational tennis with a group of close friends.
He was married to Virginia Hole for 64 years until her death in 2006. He is survived by his sons, Godfrey Jr., Conrad Gilbert, and Lewis H. of Atlanta, his two grandchildren, Jason and Molly, and one great grandson, Samuel.
A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 11:00 A.M. at the Chapel at Brethren Village, 3001 Lititz Pike, Lancaster, PA with the Rev. Mark Tedford officiating. The family will greet friends following the service. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to Occupational Development Center, 640 Martha Ave., Lancaster, PA 17601 or to Friendship Community, 1149 East Oregon Road, Lititz, PA 17543.