Edgar “Ed” Rhoads Singleton, 88, of Lancaster, died Saturday, October 29, 2011 at Evergreen Estates Retirement Community. He leaves behind his beloved wife of 67 years, Maribel “Mollie” Diffenbach Singleton. Ed was the son of the late W. Roy and Iva Rhoads Singleton. He graduated from Manheim Twp. High School in 1941.
Ed served three years in WWII, including 17 months in the South Pacific. He was stationed in New Guinea, Noemfoor Island, Philippine Islands, and Japan. He was discharged in 1946 and received the Philippines Liberation Ribbon and one Bronze Star, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with two Bronze Stars, the WWII Victory Medal and the Good Conduct Medal. Forty-five years after the war, he was instrumental in locating 245 members of his 306 Airdrome Squadron and helped to organize the Squadron’s First Reunion in 1990 in Denver, CO. He actively served as Treasurer of the Group from the time they organized in 1988 and attended the first 13 reunions.
After the service, Ed and his brother, Robert L. Singleton of Lancaster became co-owners of Singleton’s Shoe Store in Lancaster and Martin’s Shoe Store in New Holland. In 1967 he successfully completed the course “Executive Seminar in Shoe Store
Management” at New York University of Retail Management. He retired in May 1985. Ed was a member of the Kiwanis Club for 44 years in both Lancaster and New Holland. He was a life member of First United Methodist Church at Duke and Walnut
Ed is survived by Mollie, his brother Robert, and his two sons, William Martin, married to Dawn Singleton and Edgar Robert, married to Patricia Klopack Singleton. He has eight grandchildren, one adopted grandchild, eleven great-grandchildren, and one
great-great-grandson. Ed was preceded in death by a brother, Wilbur, and a sister, Marian Singleton Medsger from Lancaster, MA.
Private funeral services were held at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, in honor of Mollie, contributions may be made to the American Alzheimers Disease Association, “Mollie’s Gang,” 3544 N. Progress Ave., Suite 205, Harrisburg, PA