Charles V. Snyder, Jr., retired attorney at law, died peacefully at home surrounded by family on Monday, June 17, 2013 at the age of 93. Born in Lancaster, he was the son of Dr. Charles V. Snyder and Mary Stamy Snyder. He was a member of the first class to graduate from McCaskey High School in 1938. He graduated from Franklin and Marshall College and Dickinson School of Law, now part of Penn State University. Charlie was a practicing attorney in Lancaster for over 50 years, retiring in 2007. He was a Special Assistant Attorney General of the Commonwealth and an Instructor of Business Law for the American Institute of Banking. He served as Solicitor for the Sheriff of Lancaster County for over 30 years and for the Red Rose Transit Authority for 27 years. He and the late Theodore Brubaker Esq. started the Lancaster Law Review in 1949. In May 2011, although he was retired from the active practice of law, Charlie was honored by the Lancaster Bar Association with its service award to the Bar, the community, and for his exemplary professional standards.
His civic activities included the James Buchanan Foundation for Protection of Wheatland (past President); Rotary Club of Lancaster for 50 years (past President and Paul Harris Fellow) earning a perfect 50-year attendance record; and the Franklin and Marshall College National Alumni Association (past President). He was a recipient of the alumni medal at F&M and was elected to the college’s Society of Distinguished Alumni. He served as Republican Committeeman in Lancaster Township. He also participated in the Tucquan Club, Sons of the Revolution (past Regent), Chi Phi Fraternity, Pirates, and past member of the Hamilton Club. In retirement, he volunteered at the Lancaster General Hospital and delivered Meals on Wheels for many years.
Charlie served in World War II from 1942–1945 and the Korean War from 1951-1952.
During WWII, he was a Special Agent of the Army County Intelligence Corps, receiving the Bronze Service Star in 1944. He also served as a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. His tours of duty included North Africa, the Middle East, Japan and Korea.
A member of the First Presbyterian Church in Lancaster since 1953, he served as an elder, Clerk of Session, deacon and trustee; and sang in its Chancel Choir for over 50 years. He was a member of the George Mann Bible Class, serving as its President for several years.
Charlie enjoyed singing, and sang with the Blue and White Singers of F&M College and the Rotary Club of Lancaster’s Ensemble. He led the annual Lancaster courthouse Christmas Carol Sing in the 1950s, often soloing as one of “We Three Kings.”
His hobbies included reading, traveling and sports. He especially followed Philadelphia professional sports and also regularly attended sports events at his alma maters. He collected antique toys and coordinated the North President Avenue tree maintenance on the center islands near his home. He played in the lunchtime volleyball league at the YMCA for many years. He was the last surviving of six attorneys known as “the walkers,” who walked together from Lancaster Township to work in downtown Lancaster every morning in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.
He is survived by three daughters, Barbara Snyder of Lancaster; Carolyn Snyder of Leesburg, VA; and Laura Snyder Ewens, wife of Robert P. Ewens, Tucson, AZ. Also, three grandsons, Jon Ewens, Tucson; Marc Ewens, Des Moines, IA, and Theodore S. Wohlsen, Lancaster. His wife Janet L. Snyder, with whom he celebrated 58 years of marriage, predeceased him in 2009. He was also preceded in death by two sisters, Harriet S. Rick and Mary Ellen Byxbee.
A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 11:00 A.M. at First Presbyterian Church 140 E. Orange St., Lancaster, PA with the Rev. Dr. Geoffrey S. Kohler and the Rev. Dr. Donald W. Hackett officiating. Friends may call at the church on Saturday from 10:00 A.M. until the time of the service. Interment in the First Presbyterian Church Memorial Gardens will be private and held at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Endowment Fund of First Presbyterian Church, 140 E. Orange St., Lancaster, PA 17602.