Rev. Robert M. Lamparter, 93, died in Christ on October 1, 2010 in Lancaster, PA. He was born July 25, 1917 in Lancaster to Lorenz and Lizzie (Metzler) Lamparter. Preceded in death by his parents and siblings Beatrice, Lawrence, Arthur and Ruth, he is survived by siblings Helen Unger (100) of Lititz, PA, James W. Lamparter (95) of San Jacinto, CA, and his wife of 61 years, Hildegard (Preisendanz) Lamparter.
Also surviving are a son, Robert W. Lamparter, M.D. and Carol (Morningstar) Lamparter, M.D. of Selinsgrove, PA; daughters Satya Barbara Jaech and Rev. Richard E. Jaech, of Camas, WA; and Priscilla L. Landis and Ray A. Landis of Harleysville, PA. He is also survived by grandchildren Matthew Lamparter, Andrew Landis, Sarah (Landis) Hancock, Jesse Landis and Nicholas Jaech, and great grandchildren Becca and Ethan Landis.
He graduated from Lancaster Boys High School, Muhlenberg College and the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia. His first Call was as assistant pastor at Trinity Lutheran Church, Latrobe, PA. He later served as pastor of St. John’s Lutheran Church, South Pottstown, PA, supervising construction of the church sanctuary. He became pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church in Kingston, PA and in 1954 accepted the Call to be pastor of St. John’s Lutheran Church in Phoenixville, PA, where he oversaw the relocation and construction of a new church. In 1967 he became pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church, supervising the construction of a new Christian education building. He completed his active ministry at Old Goschenhoppen Lutheran Church, Woxall, PA.
In retirement he was active in the Lutheran Historical Society of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod, where he was instrumental in reprinting the journals of Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, including newly discovered materials documenting life in the U.S. at the time of the American Revolution.
He was a founding member of the Lutheran Historical Society of Lancaster County, and continued to teach in his church and write articles for the Lancaster newspapers.
A true son of Lancaster Lutheranism, in 2002 he published a brief history of the Lutheran churches in the city of Lancaster, “Where the Saints Have Trod.” His family and friends will remember him as a devoted pastor, avid historian and, above all, as a Christian.
His funeral will be held at Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, 750 Greenfield Rd., Lancaster, PA on October 5. Friends may call from 10:00 – 10:45 with the service following at 11:00 AM. Interment will be at 3:30 PM at Old Goschenhoppen Cemetery, Church Rd., Woxall, PA.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in his memory to Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, 750 Greenfield Road, Lancaster, PA 17601, or Lutheran CORE (Word Alone), 2299 Palmer Dr., Ste. 220, New Brighton, MN 55112.